What You Should Do When Experiencing Neck Pain
It is not the kind of pain you will want to ignore, or put off treating. When it feels sore, numb, or stiff, you need to take care of the discomfort in your neck. To do otherwise would mean more pain, and in the worst case possible, further medical issues. But what should you do when you experience neck or cervical pain?
Pain Relief The Natural Way
The treatment for neck pains will vary. It will depend on the cause of your pain; a common cause may be a simple muscle tension, primarily due to everyday activities like working on a computer that is placed too high or too low, bending over your desk for hours, and twisting your neck rapidly while exercising.
With common causes, you may be able to find relief from your neck pain when you do the following:
- Apply heat or ice packs to the affected area. It is recommended that you use an ice pack for the first 48 to 72 hours, for several minutes, and then use heat pads.
- Sleep on a firm mattress with a neck pillow. Neck pillows may be able to help you as these provide rejuvenating effects.
- Avoid aggravating the pain by temporarily stopping usual activities, such as playing sports or exercising strenuously, for the first few days. This will allow the inflammation and the symptoms to calm down.
- Practice relaxation techniques to reduce stress, which can induce neck pains.
- Stretch your neck, every hour or so, when working on the computer.
- Do gentle exercises.
Chiropractic Care for Your Neck
But whether you are experiencing neck pains because of the stress of your daily activities or because you have been in an accident, it is recommended that you seek chiropractic care. Chiropractors can locate the source of your pain and come up with a more appropriate treatment plan that delivers relief and healing.
Your chiropractor will conduct a thorough exam, both physical and neurological. Your physical condition will be observed, your range of motion, your posture, and movements that cause you pain will be noted. Tests may be required, depending on the result of your exam. And once all the data has been collected, including your medical history, then and only then will your chiropractor create a treatment plan.
The beauty of consulting with chiropractors is that your treatment will have a holistic approach, and you will not have to worry about getting a costly surgery or taking medicines that have particularly worrying side effects. With chiropractic care, you receive cervical manipulation, which reduces pain and restores range of motion; the treatment plan may also come with massages and rehabilitative exercises.